Did You Know?
There is a changing of the guard going on in this country.
We thought it would be fun to give you some facts about presidents gone by. Did you know these facts about Abraham Lincoln?
- Abraham Lincoln did not like being called “Abe”. He much preferred to be called by his last name.
- Lincoln was an animal lover and did not like to hunt nor fish. His cat ate at the White House dinner table.
- He was the only president to have a patent. He invented a device to free steamboats that ran aground.
- Lincoln was a suffragette before it was fashionable to be so. He supported women’s right to vote in 1836.
- His mother, Nancy, died when he was nine years old.
- A year later, his father remarried and Lincoln became very close to his stepmother. He was known to refer to her as “Mother”.
- Although Lincoln and his wife, Nancy Todd, had four boys, only one, Robert, survived to adulthood and had children of his own. Lincoln and Mary Todd loved children and were deeply effected by the loss of their children.
- Mary enjoyed cooking for her husband although she had been raised by a wealthy family and so had not been taught much about the kitchen. He particularly liked oysters.
- Although Abraham Lincoln read the Bible every day, he never was a member of a church.
- Abraham Lincoln did not drink, smoke or chew….a man of very simple tastes.
Certainly a moral man, a man of great depth and values.